Seeing Is Believing: I Didn’t Believe At First
Until a few years ago, I did not realize that not eating a lot of starch was a thing. To be honest, I didn’t think eating so few carbohydrates was healthy. After all these years of believing that fatty meat was the devil and that bread was a savior, the ketogenic diet is quite refreshing for someone like me. I know for a fact that psychologically the keto diet is not for everyone, but if you can get over yourself, the benefits are worth the effort. That is where the keto diet shines.
For the first week, I took a supplement called Real Ketones Prime D+. It is a meal replacement that while not necessary, definitely helps if you don’t know what to eat. You can take it twice a day and eat a normal meal for dinner. I only took it in the morning as I really didn’t know what to expect. I lost 12 pounds in those first 5 days. It is normal to lose that much when you first start as most of it will be water. In my case, I was already in ketosis, so I don’t think I was holding water.
How I Actually Did It
For the most part, I did not experiment with substitutes for my favorite high carbohydrate foods. I definitely didn’t in the beginning. I actually only cut carbs out of my diet. So it was not more expensive like many people try to make dieting out to be. I only ate meat and vegetables for the first month or so. I would cook enough meat on the weekends to eat throughout the week and if I ran out or got bored, I’d just pick up a salad. Sometimes I would grill a bunch of meat or put a roast or shoulder in the pressure cooker. Frozen and canned vegetables, while not the best option was the quickest.
I don’t have a scale, so I did not weigh myself every day. My goal was not to lose weight, it was to live healthier. As I came down in weight, I felt much more energetic. What I really noticed was my waist shrinking. I noticed my stomach flattening out. While I am probably a little heavier than my recommended weight for my height and age, I am happy where I currently am. I am going to try to maintain my current weight at around 205 to 210 pounds. In my opinion, weight doesn’t really matter anymore. Most people want a good healthy look. Getting to a certain weight is only to impress your doctor. Being healthy is about improving your quality of life.
Before I knew it, my pants wouldn’t stay up. Not only were my pants too big, but my belt was also too big. I was lost in most of my shirts. I was so small, I could shop in stores like American Eagle, Cotton On, J. Crew, Express, etc.. You know the stores where they only have one 2X shirt in the entire store and you might have to fight someone for it. Now I can wear size 36 jeans in most brands and fits and 34 others. I also wear XL or L shirts depending on the brand and style of the shirt.
A Few Things To Think About
In order to lose weight all you need is a calorie deficit. Meaning you need to burn more calories than you intake. While it is much more effective to exercise while dieting, you can lose a ton of weight just by incorporating some ketogenic ideals. If you don’t believe me, I challenge you to try a few things out:
- Find and download a free app and track how many calories you burn for about a week.
- As you shop for food, check out the nutritional fact on the packages you pick up. Check out the correlation between the carbohydrates and calories in the foods you normally eat. The more carbs, the more calories.
- Slowly cut sugars, bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, corn, beans, and other high carbohydrate foods out of your diet. You might not get in ketosis quickly but it’s a start.
- Do not worry about intermittent fasting, I did not do it and I have had fabulous results.
- Have fun with, join a group of supportive people and/or do it with your friends, family, co-workers and other social groups.
- Don’t ride the scale. Being healthy should not be a task, it should be a way of life. If you are in such dire need of confirmation, you may not be mature enough for the ketogenic diet.
- Stop looking for advice from people promoting what I like to call “Psycho Keto.” Psycho Keto is 5, 10, 20 grams of carbs a day. Most will never get started chasing unrealistic goals or going cold turkey.
If you have any questions please leave a comment below and I will answer it to the best of my ability. Let’s start a conversation, it doesn’t matter if you’ve been doing keto for years or you are just slightly interested.